Always dreamed of being a Sportscaster? Here's a day in the life of your dream job

5:00 PM
Always dreamed of being a Sportscaster? Here's a day in the life of your dream job -

asked me some form of the following questions almost every day:

"How to be a sports anchor and journalist? "Fun but hard.

"How did you get into this business?" Long story.

"Have you always wanted to do this?" Yes. This and more.

But increasingly, people who want to enter the world of sports media think that we spend our days cheering at games, puffing champagne with the owners and chest bumps athletes. Not exactly.

Take on Easter Sunday of 2013, for example. Photographer Bill Ellis and I left San Antonio at 10.30, where the Rangers had just completed their training program spring with a series of two-game against the Padres. Our final destination? Houston for the opening of the season between the Rangers and Astros on Sunday night.

This is a typical "day in the life", which includes everything from hot dogs to a stale drunken bum Astros fans run our live shot:

7: 30 am :. Wake up

08:00: Head to the hotel lobby to FaceTime with my daughter and husband.

08:15 :. Workout for 45 minutes that I'm always fighting, in which more than 10 pounds in a camera adds.

09:00: Breakfast and blogging about things to do in Houston.

10:00: Back to the room to pack .

10:30: Departure to Houston

13:30 :. Arrival at Hilton Americas start getting immediately with big hair dress and TV anchor trick.

14:45: Lets Minute Maid Park . It is about 8/10 of a mile away, so we walk.

03:00: Arrival at the park, getting credentials, pass through security and get lost in the bowels of the hotel trying to find the Rangers clubhouse. He speaks to the producer at the station about our plan for the evening.

3:30 pm: open Rangers clubhouse We interview David Murphy, Lance Berkman, Mitch Moreland and Ian Kinsler .. Adrian Beltre and AJ Pierzynski turn us down for interviews.

16:30: Interview Ron Washington amid a gaggle of reporters on the sidelines Rangers. Once finished with Wash, start shooting video and collection of interviews with fans for our story on the day that will air on the score of CBS11 later that night opening.

17:15: fight our way upstairs Print box to see if there is a place for we watch the game and space to Bill equipment set to start editing our history. No space, as they are at the maximum capacity. The journalists are sitting in the dining room and to spare tables in the hallway. Bill and I go down to find a space to work.

17:30: open a store in Astros press room on the completely opposite side of the clubhouse Rangers Park, about four minutes walk. I start recording audio and video to write my story.

18:00 :. Done to write the story It 's time to express the sound. There is no ideal test area for sound record audio, so you use the background Astros cloth press conference to muffle the sound. A photographer from a Houston station leaves the room in the middle of our monitoring session, in order to start over. Repeatedly. It takes me three or four tries to get the recorded audio. Now it's freezing in the press room. Bill and I have chills. There is no cell service in this room. We have to leave the room and walk to the lobby for text messages or phone calls. Fortunately Wi-Fi signal of the building works in this room.

18:20: Both of us are dying of hunger . I trudge back to the press room to get something to eat. Bill is hungry, but want to change this story and get it done. He asks me to do him a pretzel.

18:30: Purchase dinner means $ 10. I broke my fork trying to cut the meat offered. I take about three bites of everything: iceberg lettuce freezing, tough meat and potatoes fat. I try popcorn. And 'stale. The frozen yogurt is not bad. I leave to get pretzel Bill. Each kiosk is packed. With the time I have waited my 22 minutes and reach the counter for her pretzel, this particular stand is short of them. I try to text Bill to see if he wants something else. He does not get the text because of the bad cell signal. The march back to the press box to grab one of the three hot dogs left on the rotisserie. It seems like it's been sitting there for four hours.

19:45: Finally back to our base in the bowels of Minute Maid Park. Bill gets his hot dogs cold. I finally had a chance to watch the game on a TV in the press conference room. I actually do not see a single person pitch. The Astros radio broadcast is routed through the TV. I use my MLB at Bat app to listen to Eric Nadel and Matt Hicks. In a rush to leave my hotel room, I leave my iPad charger in the room. I have to preserve the battery life to use my iPad later in the evening, so can not listen continuously.

21:55: Beginning of the 9th inning . We walk for the Rangers clubhouse to prepare for post-match interviews

10:05 pm: I seem to require more time than usual to join the club after the Rangers 8-2 loss. We enter the office of Washington. Rangers PR guy John Blake says that television journalists can ask questions first, followed by print media, but each person means tiny office packs of Washington. I ask two questions and leave.

10:30 Interview Matt Harrison, Derek Lowe and AJ Pierzynski. Get interviews 1-on-1 with Nelson Cruz, Elvis Andrus and David Murphy. Bill points out it's getting late and we needed to leave for our position shot live.

10:50: Arrival to live shot position outside Minute Maid Park. We need to feed back the interviews that we have collected. We are working with our "sister station" Houston KTRK. Their technology is not compatible with ours so we have to feed our material for the second time with our "backup" equipment brought with us from Dallas. The video quality is not great.

11:00 to touch her hair and makeup to shot live. Start collecting my thoughts to determine how I am going to introduce my sound post game and story that we shot earlier in the day. A nice young lady from Dallas to me starts to how to get into sports broadcasting business. I chat with her for about 10 minutes. I only spent five solid minutes to prepare what to say before I am on television

11:15: In place for our living shot. A fan above served shouts to us "Back to Arlington!" His wife drags him away. Bill is still material supply for our station. A photographer from KTRK is shooting my shot live. There is a monster truck cruising up and down the street behind us while sitting on his horn. Once I start by introducing my postgame interviews, I noticed the photographer KTRK shaking his head "no." I feel an air brush over my right shoulder. With the left corner of my eye I see Bill running towards me. Pushes an Astros fan drunk off the road. Bill says that this guy was charging towards us. I turn briefly to see what's going on. I think I stumble on my introduction.

11:19: Our live shot is more than . Bill can not believe that guy came out of nowhere. My heart is still pounding because I freaked out so much. We break down our equipment and walk back to Hilton.

11:45: Arrival at the hotel We are dying of hunger .. Still. There is only one Easter basket leftovers from the hunt hotel eggs with butter miniature cup candy Peanut some Reese. Grab are one of them and go to the emergency for my "second dinner". Bill then tells me that she ordered room service. And finally it arrives at 12:45. $ 42.50 for a chicken sandwich and carrot cake.

Monday morning:

08:00: Drive to Dallas and write this post in the car on the way home.

South :. I get home My daughter runs away when I try to embrace it. I believe that despite FaceTime, has forgotten me.

Although we are not always on the road, we travel a fair amount. Actually our days are jam-packed with a little 'closer when we're at home. Long days with unexpected surprises and a couple of bumps are the norm. It is an easy job? No. Is it fun? No questions. We would not have it any other way ... except the non-hug from Jordan.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar