What can I learn from the Greatest Risk Takers in the Bible?

12:56 PM
What can I learn from the Greatest Risk Takers in the Bible? -

The greatest Bible characters are known to be risk takers. Even in the midst of uncertainty, fear and peril, go ahead. They are able to give up comfort, power, prestige and security. And they also risk their reputation, the future and their own lives as they face what lies ahead. Both the Old and New Testaments are filled with exemplary figures I can learn from when it comes to taking risks.

In the Old Testament, Abraham and Moses stand. Abraham, an old man in the best-off conditions, set out to an unknown place with his wife, servants, and cattle despite his advanced age and socio-economic stability. These are reasons enough valid against any risk-taking unlikely. How in the world could have opted for such a risky journey into uncertainty? He could have spent the remaining days of his life in comfort and peace.

And there's Moses, the son of a Jewish family that was saved, nurtured and educated by the Egyptian elite and power as their own. It 'been treated to rule Egypt as the Pharaohs. But his life changed, how he discovered its origin. He saw the suffering of his people in bondage. He suffered the oppression view. He committed the crime in defense of his people and from then on his life went out of proportion. Egypt closed on him like the sea and the open desert terrifying risks. What motivated Moses to face many risks in the place of his identity and acquired all the good of Egypt had given him? It could have been better govern alongside the mighty Pharaoh.

In the New Testament, I focus on Jesus and Paul as risk taking models, which impressed me to no end. Jesus, a simple son of a carpenter of Nazareth he left his hometown to proclaim the Kingdom of God for the good of the sick, the poor, the hungry, the oppressed, prisoners and sinners to the point of breaking religious laws for the their own good. His words and actions were messages of peace, justice and love. He also called God Abba the same way a Jewish son face his father, something bold and blasphemous in his time. In this way, it has become a threat to the existing religious structures and ideologies imposed by the ruling religious authorities. In the end, they had Jesus killed their relief and joy. Jesus took risks to proclaim what he believed as a God-given truth. What might have worked in his mind, to the point of giving his life? He could have been safer and more respectable following officers religious standards and the requirements of his time.

The Jesus who took risks and died was the inspiration and model for Paul, once a staunch defender of his religion and persecutor of Christians. His life took a sudden turn at the time of conversion to Christ. His religion that he had provided the prestige, power and holiness suddenly lost its appeal. His zeal in persecuting the followers of Jesus turned into zeal in proclaiming Christ within and beyond the borders of his religion and society. It formed the community in the name of Christ. But both political and religious powers were against him. As a Christian, his life has been put on a number of risks as he faced hunger, persecution, defamation and, consequently, death. What made this devoted Paul turn upside down and suffer all manner of trials? It could have been safe and well under the care of his religion.

risk takers in the Bible, particularly those exemplified, have much to teach me. First of all, I hear that they all had a vision that was above any risk. The promised land and offspring consumed Abraham. Liberation from Egyptian rule and the search of the promised land led Moses. The Kingdom of God was the reason for every word and action of Jesus. To live and die for Christ made Paul run the race to the end. The vision that has captured the biblical characters is the ultimate goal, a clear goal and not negotiable. The risks that come their way are a result of an option taken in view of their vision. Similarly, my life commitments should be guided by a vision - a clear goal or dream that gives meaning to every step I take, no matter what it is likely to come down the road. Risks lose their meaning before the vision that sees me through moments of pain and peril.

Second, I learned that every effort taking risks needs a strong sense of purpose to prevail on the risks. It serves as an inner light to remind me why I'm doing what I'm doing. It pushes me to believe in my abilities and the people around me. And when I run out of personal resources and external aid, I have this light in which he continues to burn. We could call it the courage, determination, focus and willpower that can go beyond the face of adversity limits. Abraham was courageous in his old age. Moses was determined to lead his people to the land of freedom. Jesus did what he did to usher in the kingdom of God on earth. Paul has focused on its mission to proclaim Christ among believers and non-believers. In times of grief, anguish and rejection, they have suffered and wept like any mortal in moments of weakness. But they knew the reason for their pain and fatigue. Risks acquire new meaning because of the light that burns inside.

Third, I learn that I have the power on the risks that God gave me. Call it faith, hope and love, this power is what drives me to victory or success. I sincerely believe that my power is limited, that I tremble at the face of danger, and I lose the courage sometimes for one reason or another. I know that I am fragile and incomplete, and therefore they need help. When there seems to be no way, when they are down, tired and lonely in this journey, and when my strength fail me, I can count on a backup power to bring me. My specimens of biblical risk takers were not supermen. They were able to take the risks because of the power that God has given them. It just has to recognize this power and use it. Paul says he can do everything through Him who gives him the strength (Phil. 4:13).

Finally, once you have the vision, the sense of mission and God's gift of inner strength, the rest is the planning and hard work to the end. And if I do something good that goes against what is ordinary, standard, popular, traditional and official, then as Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Paul, I must be willing to risk my comfort, reputation, safety, and also the future life. After all, risk-taking is not a matter of certainty because no one knows the future. It is a matter of surrender and trust in the One who holds the future. The one who keeps me firmly and with love from birth to death no matter what happens.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar