7 Pro and 7 against audiobooks

2:45 PM
7 Pro and 7 against audiobooks -

I just finished my first audio book. And it was an experience worth sharing:

I had read reviews and blog posts and tweets of Seth Godin's latest book, Linchpin. We went to a couple of libraries on my way to work / home; It was not available. So I went to Amazon.com to order one. I was on Amazon, after a long period of time, and I was surprised to see the available options: Kindle (ebook download), hardback, paperback, audio CDs and download audio. download Audio seemed the fastest option so I checked it out. It took me to Audible.com - an Amazon company, where an audio download was offered for just USD7.49 with a new registration! I signed up, paid the money, downloaded the book and started to listen now! The advantages:

1. It's fast. I was listening to the book after a few clicks in minutes.

2. It's cheap. Book versions were USD13-25.

3. And 'convenient. I copied the files to my iPhone to listen to during my commute to and from work.

4. Is it safe. A copy of each on my computer, iPhone and back up is likely to last (without damage) as long as I want.

5. It takes space. So, less clutter. No worries about whether to keep, sell, recycle or give-away.

6. And 'environment friendly. No paper, ink, chemicals.

7. And 'comfortable. For someone who spends a lot of time at the computer or books, this is a good break for the eyes. You can listen to standing, walking or lying down

And disadvantages :.

1. Need technology - computers, Internet access, applications like iTunes, and power

2. Do you need a handheld device to maximize the use of audiobooks - iPhone, iPod or any other MP3 player

3. You need a credit card to purchase online

4. You can not share. I like to give away my books to someone who might enjoy / benefit. Most audio books can not be shared on multiple computers / account.

5. You can not see with the same ease. I like to go back to certain passages of my favorite books for inspiration / information / sharing. In audio books, you can fast forward by chapter, but it is difficult to go to the exact passage you are looking for.

6. You can easily lose - unless you have a good backup system.

7. it becomes anti-social. Your chances of interesting conversations with strangers is considerably reduced when you go around with headphones in their ears.

On balance, I think that depends on your lifestyle, circumstances and also the kind of book you want to read. Please take a few minutes to share your views through comments: Have you tried an audiobook? If not, is it? What other advantages and disadvantages that you can think of?

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar